Sunday, December 03, 2006

Changes in Animals....

There have been MANY changes in animal status - of the four and the two legged versions -
Splash died on March 13th - just was done one day - no drawn out illness...died in my back seat where he always spent the days for the past year or so....and his papa got a chance to come and say good bye - we buried him out back (shallow grave due to the frozen ground), marked it very appropriately and his picture is in my car so he still comes with me....
Boo - the brain damaged, half-blind kitty had many adventures - became quite adept at navigating the house, was soooooo beautiful and loved us so much - but she tried to get outside all the time (and had no homing instinct) - she was lost for a few days once and God brought her back - let me hear her answering me when I called, and I got to save her through the woods and bogs in back of our house - but she then got out just before Halloween and she never answered my calls.....so I said my good byes and asked God to take her quickly and painlessly - although she could not have had a better home or have been loved more I know it was a hard life for her - she had one eye left with some vision, and she would often go assover teakettle since she had no depth perception - we miss her everyday - we don't regret spending the time and money helping her to recover as much as she could because I really think she was happy in her own way, but it was her time to be done....BUT we had gotten her a pet named Bandit - and when Boo left, that meant Bandit had no one to play with - sooo of course we had to get her a friend - his name is Harry because he is very hairy and he looks like Boo - black and white with beautiful long hair - his paws are not as huge as Boo's and he will never be as special, but he has found a place in our hearts already. And last but certainly not least, we (just yesterday) bought a sheltie puppy who is named Skipper (he will be a boat yard dog as he wil go to work with papa, so he had to be a boy and he will be an honorary captain so Skipper fit just right) - he is only 2 weeks old so his eyes are barely open - so he will live at his Mom & Dad's for a while longer and then come live with us....we figure he will have fun herding the kittens around the house when he is not busy at the shop...
As for the 2-legged pet - our son came back to live with us - he asked at the beginning of April - and we (being parents there really was not a choice to giving another chance) said yes...he is doing a much better job at being a human these days - I call him the new improved son like laundry detergent - no really, he is nicer, tries harder to get along, is not as sullen and depressed....but occasionally he has had flare-ups of treating his Dad with no respect, carrying a HUGE attitude around and expecting everything to happen just the way he wants....I guess that will take a lot longer to grow out of. He has yet to remember special occasions with any effort (like a card or gift) but does say happy birthday etc. on the right day, which is an improvement.
So
The menagerie grows, I have to wait before I can have a guest room, and I am ready for the holidays...my favorite time of year to say hello, to buy cool stuff that remind me of certain people, and to do some reflecting (not too much, though, because I begin to realize how old I am!!!)
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...:-)

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Laurel said...

Maybe you should have that boat builder husband of yours start building an ark!

Love you, my dear!
dizzylaurel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home